Friday, April 13, 2018

Thanks, Olivia's Shawl and a bit of this and that.............

First off I'd like to thank you all for your comments on my last post Reality Check.  You made me laugh and I felt completely understood.  The only misconception here is that you all think that was a rough week, technically that is just like every week I have.  Well minus the lice exposure...........




I have finish number three of 2018.  This is Olivia's Shawl, from Annette Ciccarelli of My Rose Valley  Annette published this pattern recently on her blog and I knew I had to make it.  It is one of those simple but brilliant patterns that makes up fast and beautiful.  I worked on this in the evenings when I had time to sit down and catch my breath.  What I find so wonderful is that the border is made up at the same time as the body of the shawl.  I made this with Sirdar Snuggly baby bamboo in the color Limey.  I used four balls so about 416 yards for this piece.  This yarn has been in my stash a long time, since a dear yarn store in Tampa closed many years ago.  I got it about 50% off so it was a steal.  I used a size H hook and have already started another one.  I think this will be for Little Buddy's teacher for an end of the year present.  I am not sure if she will like it or not so I will also give her a gift card.  His assistant will get the next one, also made from stash yarn.  I am now under 19,000 yards of yarn in my stash, a world record I think!


Deb from the famous Araignee's Tangled Web had a soap giveaway and I signed on as fast as I could.  I was wanting more of her her delicious lotion bars and a bit of lip balm.  I am a lip balm-aholic.  Deb also sent this beautiful strawberry, lemon and thyme soap and yummy facial soap.  You do not see the lip balm because it is already on my bedside table.  I opened it immediately and put some on my parched lips.  It is perfect!  Deb you are so kind to do all this work and then share with all of us.  There are a few items left if you want to go visit and beg for something wonderful, you'll be glad you did.  Thank you again Deb, you are so talented and so lovely to share, you are very much appreciated.


One of the little boys I work with was doing a grown up dot-to-dot when I walked in one day.  I had never seen one.  He loves it, well except when he can't find a number and has to ask for help, he gets a bit testy then.  I ended up buying a big book for three of my kids to work on, including him of course, then I realized this might be perfect for me.  I did not join in the coloring craze when it was big, I just did not have time, but I thought this might be fun to do while Little Buddy does his homework on the weekends.  Might this be what I need to stay calm as he takes forever to get anything done?  Maybe this will help me be more zen as he takes forever to write a sentence, not because he can't, more like he doesn't want to.  I'll let you know how it works.


Hank.


Bear.


The boys continue to grow at warp speed.  Their backs are now taller than the highest spot on my knee.  I am almost 5'10 so that is pretty tall for almost 6 month olds.  Puppy damage was at a minimum this week, only a dish cloth and a stuffed toy, one of theirs I might add.  Bear, the innocent looking one had Little Buddy's new glasses in his mouth literally 30 minutes after we got home with them.  Luckily there were no scratches, the spare pair was picked up yesterday.

I had Little Buddy's annual IEP today, seems he is doing all he is supposed to be but still needs help with physical things and of course his socialization.  They are so happy with his progress in school, and so am I.  I thanked each and every one of them, they work so hard to help him be the best he can be.  Without all these brilliant people in his life where would he be?  On another note I found out today we will have to switch his private physical therapy.  I am not happy but the hospital that is affiliated with this clinic is moving onto episodic care.  Meaning that the kids have to have had a recent acute medical issue or need to be treated for one particular problem.  I find this offensive in so many ways, because they are saying they should handle the medically fragile cases and the rest should go to community therapists, which of course is what I am.  I personally think we can all handle acute and not so acute, it is what we were trained to do.  He has had this therapist since he moved in with us and she has been wonderful for him.  He is making continued progress and has not slowed down.  I can be put on a waiting list so she can see him in six months when he shows signs of regressing, sorry that is not about to happen with my boy. So as of Monday I will be on the hunt to find him a new therapist and hope that this new person is going to help him to continue to move towards independence.  There is always something to worry about isn't there?

I am currently recovering from my 35 Botox shot protocol from yesterday.   I have to say I am not feeling my best.  I am supposed to take it easy this weekend, do you think I can?

Hope you have a wonderful weekend my friends.

31 comments:

Araignee said...

I am happy that it all arrived safe and sound. I hope little Buddy likes his lion soap. I made a bunch for the Grands at Easter and thought he might like one of the critters.
That shawl is lovely. I am not sure how you do it. Puppies, kids, work AND time for crocheting? I don't get it.

bittenbyknittin said...

My, what big dogs you have! I've never heard of dot-to-dot for grown-ups. I'll have to see if they have them in a variety of age ranges, something new for my granddaughter to do. Lovely shawl, too. You do great crochet!

Betsy said...

Your shawl is gorgeous Meredith. I’m amazed that you have time to get anything done with the hectic pace that you lead on a daily basis. Look at those innocent faces of those puppies. I find it hard to believe they are capable of the chaos you say they commit. Ha ha ha! This is why I was so happy we found our Chloe when she was almost two. Past the puppy stage but still trainable. I don’t know if I have it in me to train a puppy again. I’m so sorry to hear about the problems with the medical care for your little guy. It seems we all are facing struggles with medical care these days. I know that the issues you’re dealing with with his therapy are very, very important though. I hope the dot to dots work and you find the zen that you’re looking for and that you have a very relaxing weekend.
Blessings, Betsy

Teresa Kasner said...

Bravo on the beautiful shawl! I'm sure it will be a treasured gift. I use my shawls every single time I go out. Your fur kids are getting quite big, aren't they? I'm glad the chewing is subsiding. We're in charge of all 3 dogs here while the boys and DIL and grandsons are at the beach for a few days. Sorry to hear about the physical therapy changes, I hope you find just the right person to take over. I hope you have some R&R over the weekend! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Gracie Saylor said...

You have created another beautiful shawl and a cardigan since I last checked in with you! Bravo!! I love seeing your dynamic duo and apologize on their behalf for their beastly obsession with chewing...but as you have typed in other posts they are truly darling!! After spending over a hundred dollars to get rid of a rattle in my car while I was in CA I came home and spent $867.00 on needed maintenance. In the following week, the dashboard lights flickered on and off several times and then when I turned on the engine thinking I was driving to church Sunday the dashboard lights were off and the wipers would not work and it was raining :( On Monday I got to buy a new car battery...but with a 20% discount since they missed the problem the week before :) Whether Mere knits or never knits, I am a fan of her blog! xx

Chy said...

I hope you can take it easy this weekend. Put your feet up and watch a movie! Take care Meredith. X Chy

handmade by amalia said...

The shawl is so pretty, Meredith, and I love the color. And the dogs are so big already! No wonder you have your hands full.
Amalia
xo

Jo said...

That is a beautiful shawl, will look that one up. Hope you find some answers to your medical issues for Buddy. We don't have those kind of problems in the NHS. My dad needed oxygen at home this week and a nurse brought it free of charge and set it all up for him. I'm not saying our NHS doesn't have its issues but someone in the UK can't comprehend what you have to do. I wrote a reality check post after reading yours and it made me feel a lot better. Take care. Jo x

Jo said...

What a pretty shawl, and it's such a gorgeous colour too, absolutely beautiful. Oooh, I love handmade soap, all those gorgeous scents, and they look so pretty too, I'm sure you'll enjoy using them. Goodness, Bear and Hank have grown so much, they look like butter wouldn't melt.

CJ said...

You MUST try and take it easy this weekend Meredith, I am insisting on it. Such a shame about having to move therapist, I hope the new one will be just as good. And no doubt much of the progress is down to the effort Little Buddy makes, with your help, so I imagine all will be well. Bertie got hold of my needle case yesterday when I got up for a moment. He had lulled me into a false sense of security by pretending to be asleep. He did look a bit surprised about all the pointy ends though. The shawl is gorgeous, I do love that colour, it reminds me of the sea. I hope you have a good weekend and that you find a little time for relaxation. Hugs, CJ xx

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

Your shawl is beautiful and those pups - I can't believe how much they've grown! Hope you get some rest this weekend!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Beautiful shwal. I just love the color and those Pups....oh my goodness.....they are growing like weeds!! So cute. Bummer about Little B's therapist. Hope you find another so he can continue on the path he's on. Sounds like you need to put your feet up and rest for the weekend though.

Anonymous said...

that shawl is so beautiful! to wonder when you had/have the time is beyond me.
and to wonder at the stupid ways of the red tape ridiculous decisions of the health care system anywhere in this country is enough to raise my BP to stroke level.
bless little Buddy and You and people LIKE YOU. sending love and healing thoughts and virtual cheers to you both. xo
and hugs to those amazing growing puppies named Hank and Bear!

Karen said...

Your beautiful shawl reminds me that I have to get my Sunday shawl out and work on it. See, I don't have the passion for crochet that you do, because I forget about my projects. Several have commented that they don't know how you find the time, but I know that it isn't a chore for you, it's relaxing, isn't it? I used to feel that way about sewing. Perhaps I should reconsider and go back to that. I'm glad that LB got such a good report. Sending good thoughts your way as you look for a new therapist. I hope your find some downtime this weekend, my friend.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I have only ever made one shawl, I think. Started a granny shawl last year but never finished it. Maybe I should check out this lovely pattern you are working on. Sorry to hear about the change in physical therapy. Hopefully you will find another therapist for Little B who is just as effective and caring. Take care of yourself and put feet up for a bit this weekend.

mamasmercantile said...

Such a beautiful shawl, love the colour. Such a shame to hear about Little Buddy's medical changes, praying that you will be able to find a therapist who is just as good or better. Those boys are a delight, with their butter wouldn't melt in their mouth faces.

kathy b said...

Your shawls are so beautiful. They make amazing gifts!
Wouldnt it be something if for oNE week things didn't change? No surprises. No bad news!
Well, we get each other through it.
Bear and Hank are just adorable.
HI to Lil Buddy!! He's a lucky boy to have yoU!
Feel better soon Meredith.

Nance said...

I can see how different your pups are, just by looking at them. They are a mixed blessing right now, like so many things in our lives. How do any of us manage everything? Little by little and doing our best. Fingers crossed as you search for a new therapist.

Caffeine Girl said...

Oh, I do hope you are taking it easy!
I am dismayed about LB's physical therapy situation. But not surprised. Have you noticed that health care is much better in countries that don't spend so much money on their military?
I'm glad to hear that he has a good team at school. That makes a huge difference. With the cuts in school funding here, we are not able to do everything we want for our kids!
The shawl is gorgeous. LB's teacher is very lucky.

Anonymous said...

Medical stuff can drive you absolutely CRAZY.

I just had an issue with Walgreen's and my insulin prescription. Then they out and out lied and said it was my insurance that changed the "rules". Funny how CVS didn't seem to have the problem.

I did press the pharmacist at Walgreen's and she finally admitted in was Walgreen's "new policy". ------ I cannot STAND a liar, especially one that is messing with my health safety.

I hope you find a new therapist that you like and that can help AND that your insurance will cover. I know just how stressful all of this stuff can be and Little Buddy DESERVES to be the best that he can be. Policy be damned!

Anonymous said...

I think that book is a good idea to help you relax. I can totally understand how difficult it is to stay calm during homework! My daughter could do her housework in 5 minutes if she wanted to, but some days... it took an hour and some crying and yelling too. I almost got nuts! Luckily she is now 12 and on high school and she does her homework alone.
Your shawl is gorgeous, what a lovely shade of green!
Enjoy your soap and lip balm, it looks almost too pretty to use :-)
And oh boy, the dogs have grown so much! My sister has 2 big dogs too, and it took 2 or 3 years before they finally calmed down a bit. You can only hide most of your stuff until they grow up I guess.
Enjoy your Sunday,
Sigrid

Christina said...

I used to love dot to dot books as a child. I think I probably still would. There's a thought! Love your shawl, the colour and pattern work both well together. I hope you can find a new therapist for LB soon. It sounds like so much hassle for you. We don't have these problems here but on the other hand, we don't have a choice of therapist and particularly with a therapist it is so important to form a good relationship, which can be difficult under the NHS. Alas, it is free at the point of service and I am not complaining. I know you won't rest until you found a perfect match for LB. Wishing you a good week. I hope it is less busy than normal x

Helen said...

I love the shawl and what lovely goodies. The pups are gorgeous, and glad little B is going well - I hope you find a good new therapist for him and also that you are also doing better xx

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Another shawl done and hopefully the teacher will enjoy it. Doggies are getting big and hopefully the issue with glasses will be gone soon so there will be sight for Buddy always. Goodness, I'm sure it's hard to get another therapist for Buddy but hopefully the new one will be as good if not better! I hope you get over your headaches soon without the need of any more botox. I have a young friend of three children who got sick from botox because it was bad. Not good! Life and it's problems, huh? Hopefully a bit of relaxation will help in your busy schedule my friend! Blessings and prayers!

Delighted Hands said...

The shawl is so Spring-like and has to be a boost to you since you are crocheting another one! Great idea! The coloring book/pencils look like a perfect way to relax, too!

Olga Poltava said...

Lovely shaw, beautiful stitch and color. Congrats on winning those lovely soap bars. Dot-to-dot sounds fun and relaxing, and your pups are so adorable.

Babajeza said...

I'm hoping you could rest during the weekend and are feeling better now. Hopefully, you will find a competent therapist for your little boy. Have a good week with a bit of sparkle now and then. Regula

Judy S. said...

Hope you had a good weekend, Mere, and a little time to relax! Also hope you find another good therapist for LB;I just don't understand the rationale for changes like that. Love that new shawl pattern; no wonder you want to make more than one! It's lovely.

Heldasland said...

Hi my lovely, just loved your last post . It was the perfect tonic for me . Social media is so awful. I hate lots of it . I’ve had no choice as a designer but to move myself into it and I loathe it with a passion. My blog was the only space I really loved , until the space was violated . A strong word I know but that’s what it felt like. Now , I fake fake staged photos of the perfect space . Sometimes I to just want to swear , spell badly and take a pictures of all the mess that I often have at home .
I love that you hate the same books as me. Your shawl is gorgeous. Keep blogging honey . You are super.

karen said...

are the pups going to get bigger?? eep! I hate when I have to change doctors or therapists. I'm completely attach to my personal trainer at the gym and I dread thinking if he would leave (so far he is not). I'm the same with my RA doctor. Every time I see him I ask if he is retiring...we get closer and closer but thankfully he is a workaholic!!

Chris said...

Holy... lots going on. I’m back in to blogger! How are your shots working? Are you getting any relief? I sure hope so.
Wow , always the bureaucrats and their changes.. LB needs good consistent care. So short sighted. Think of the Big picture , people! I think stuff like this happens up here as well.
Your pups are cute.., but that crazy puppy energy... they never stop!